Recent studies completed by the FDA have reported that the ParaGard IUD could fracture or break, resulting in perforation of the uterus or other significant injuries that may require extensive surgery and medical intervention. In addition, these studies show that the device can also lead to scarring, loss of reproductive health, and infections. That is why if you or a family member has suffered an injury because of the ParaGard IUD device, you need to contact Allan Berger & Associates today.
Our law firm is evaluating ParaGard IUD claims, representing ParaGard IUD victims, and bringing legal action against those responsible for the harm these victims endured. Fighting to recover the monetary damages they deserve.
What is a ParaGard IUD?
The ParaGard IUD is a hormone-free T-shaped plastic device implanted in the uterus to provide long-term protection against pregnancy. Unlike other IUD devices, the ParaGard IUD contains copper that produces inflammatory reactions that are toxic to sperm and eggs that can help prevent pregnancy.
Designed and manufactured by Teva Pharmaceuticals, the ParaGard IUD weighs less than one gram and is easily implanted in patients. During the visit, the medical professional inserts the ParaGard IUD through the cervical opening. Following the placement, the patient returns a month later to ensure the IUD is in the correct position.
ParaGard IUD was approved by the FDA in 1984, and it is used to prevent pregnancy for up to ten years after insertion.
Dangers of the ParaGard IUD- Injuries To Watch Out For
The ParaGard IUD Injuries are widespread, but according to the FDA report and lawsuit filings, some of the most common ParaGard IUD issues and complications include the following:
- The IUD breaking upon removal
- The IUD falling out of the uterus or IUD expulsion
- An Ectopic Pregnancy
- The IUD getting embedded in the uterus
- The IUD migrating to other parts of the body
- Allergic reactions or inflammation because of copper remaining in the body
- Perforation of the cervix
- Perforation of the uterine wall
- Damage to other organs
- Organ scarring
- Death resulting from the injuries indicated above.
Are You Eligible to Pursue a ParaGard IUD Claim?
Many victims are coming forward after a ParaGard IUD injury looking for answers and justice for the harm they had to endure. However, these victims often have no idea if they are eligible to pursue a ParaGard IUD claim. Because each situation is unique, the only way to determine if you have a valid case is to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney. When you contact the law firm of Allan Berger & Associates, we can take a look at your case, consider the following factors, and determine if you have a viable claim:
- Why did you decide to get the device over other contraception methods
- Did you experience complications during the removal of the device, including device migration or breakage
- Did you experience expulsion or other issues that caused your IUD to be removed earlier than anticipated
- Was hospitalization required to treat an infection
- Did you need surgery to remove a perforated organ
- Were any warnings issued regarding the risk of the implanted device
- Was the device subject to a safety alert or a recall
What Types of Compensation Can You Be Entitled To Following a ParaGard IUD Injury?
If you have been injured because of a ParaGard IUD, you may be entitled to compensation. This compensation can include both economic and non-economic damages.
Economic Damages are the actual verifiable losses that resulted from the injury, including:
- Medical expenses including past, current, and future expenses
- Lost wages including past, current, and future lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Rehabilitative expenses including physical and occupational therapy
- Replacement household services expenses
- Other out-of-pocket expenses
Non-economic Damages are rather subjective losses due to the injury that are not easily quantified. They include:
- Pain and Suffering
- Mental Anguish
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
Discussing your case with an experienced personal injury attorney can help you determine what damages you can pursue and ensure you fight for maximum compensation.
What Are the Different Grounds for a ParaGard IUD Lawsuit?
If an individual has suffered harm because of a ParaGard IUD, they can file a claim against Teva Pharmaceuticals for the following reasons:
- The ParaGard IUD has a manufacturing defect
- The ParaGard IUD has a defective design
- The ParaGard IUD labeling failed to warn of potential risks
- Teva Pharmaceuticals was negligent
When bringing a negligence lawsuit, the victim needs to show that the defendant owed them a duty of care. They breached this duty. This breach resulted in the victim’s injury, and the injury resulted in money damages. In the present case, Teva Pharmaceuticals owes its patients a duty to provide them a well-designed ParaGard IUD. When they offered devices that can break apart, they breached this duty. Consequently, these broken pieces resulted in patients having to experience extensive injuries and expensive medical procedures.
If You Are a ParaGard IUD Victim- Contact Allan Berger & Associates Today
If you or a loved one was implanted with a ParaGard IUD and developed complications or symptoms related to the device, you may be eligible to bring a ParaGard IUD lawsuit. That is why working with experienced personal injury attorneys is so critical for your claim. When you contact Allan Berger & Associates, our attorneys can:
- Go over your ParaGard IUD case in detail and answer any questions you may have
- Discuss the possible legal actions you can pursue
- Investigate the accident thoroughly, making sure to gather the critical evidence needed to show what happened and who was at fault
- Handle all the discussions and negotiations with the other side ensuring to go after the largest settlement possible
- If the other side does not want to negotiate, take your case to trial and fight for maximum compensation
Our firm is here and ready to fight on your behalf. Making sure to go after the damages and justice you deserve. Do not wait any longer. Contact Allan Berger & Associates today or call our office at 504-526-2222.